Sunday, November 30, 2008

Just Another Mundane Moment

I locked my keys in my car today, and, of course, I don't have a spare. (Getting a spare made has been on the mental to-do list for about two years now.) I was at church and we had all just said our final "Thanks be to God" when I realized that I had left my keys in my purse, which was tucked safely under the seat of my car. Thanks be to God. We had to call a locksmith and stand outside in the breezy cold to wait for him and then shell out 60 bucks for the ordeal. Normally in such a scenario I would cry, panic, and have a melt down, but today I actually thought it was kind of funny. I just thought, "Hey, my first time calling a locksmith."

If only I could handle every setback in life so graciously. I seem to think that life is supposed to be very smooth and uneventful, and that things like car trouble and broken bones shouldn't happen to me. I'm always so shocked when they do, and so distraught. But I'm learning that setbacks and hard times are just part of living, part of being a human being. Usually they pass and we don't think too much about them later on, but in the moment the smallest difficulty can seem so overwhelming. Really though, as I look back at all the catastrophes of my short life I see that God was always working things out for me, helping me, making a useful lesson or at least a funny story out of all those events. Often, difficulties in my life seem to be opportunities to see goodness and mercy in others: The time my car broke down in the middle of nowhere and a family picked me up and took me to their house, where I played with their kids and talked to their cows and ate dinner with them until my family could come to my rescue. The time I couldn't raise enough money for a mission trip and someone wrote me a thousand dollar check. There have been tears that led to friendships, confessed sins that led to trust and solidarity, miscommunication that led to understanding. Life's greatest disappointments have generally formed my character, made me more compassionate, doused my pride with the cold water of reality, shaped my spirituality, and led me deeper inside myself, helping me to find my true self.

So perhaps "Thanks be to God" isn't just empty sarcasm, but a wry prayer for grace to trust that God is good and that every moment of our lives matters--even the mundane one, the irksome one, the painful one. If Christ is in us, then every circumstance is an opportunity for Christ to teach us, or at least to embrace us, to share with us, to remain with us, to love us.

2 comments:

char said...

God is good.


And now you have a "Hey, John, remember when..." [and you both throw your heads back and laugh] moment.

miss you, friend.

laurialigns said...

Ah, lovely.

I too have undergone the calling the locksmith because I did not have a spare key ordeal. I do have one now, but I haven't locked my keys in my car since I got it. Go figure. :)