Sunday, November 2, 2008

All Saints' Day

Yesterday was All Saints' Day, which we celebrated today at St. David's. I wish everyone would celebrate this lovely feast day instead of Halloween, which gives me the heebie-jeebies. I enjoyed the lectionary readings, the new altar linen, and the sermon that included a shout-out to that fabulous Julian of Norwich. (I love the Episcopal Church.) Plus, we bought some Pan de Muerto (Bread of the Dead), which was quite tasty. I also learned that my patron saint is St. Vincent of Saragossa, a Spanish deacon and martyr who was tortured to death on account of his fearless, fiery manner when he spoke on behalf of his bishop who had a speech impediment. They had been dragged to prison during a time of persecution; the bishop was exiled and Vincent was sentenced to death. I thought that this was quite appropriate for my patron saint. According to Catholic lore, his body was thrown to the vultures, but a raven guarded it; next, they had it thrown into the ocean, but it washed up on shore and was properly buried by a pious widow.

The Episcopal church doesn't believe in praying to saints, but they do like to honor and remember them, which I think is a good thing for the church to be doing. After all, isn't the Universal church inclusive of those who sleep, who live, and who are not yet born? It is comforting for me to think of my life linked with so many others--"we who are many are one body because we all share one bread, one cup." So many lives connected throughout time and eternity, all children of God, members of Christ's body, and members of one another. It makes me glad to be a Christian. It also compels me to make my life worthwhile, to use the gifts God has given me, to live out the gospel that has become so dear to me.

No comments: