Monday, February 16, 2009

Better than Earthquakes

I said in my last blog that I was hoping for a jolt, perhaps in the metaphorical form of an earthquake or some other natural disaster. Something to wake me up, send me hurtling back into the present moment with a heart that's actually beating. I am still halfway hoping for this, but I suspect that my resurrection will not happen this away. There will be no angel, no rolling away of the stone, no cracks in the earth, no trumpets, lightning bolts, or Wizard of Oz tornadoes.

There will only be rich, quiet moments that come at unexpected times and sweet, unobtrusive blessings from unexpected places. Really, I don't need some grand sweeping glorious proclamation to wake up, to feel, to live. Today was a wonderful day for me, largely because I didn't have to go to work, but more than that because I did simple, necessary tasks and enjoyed them. I had my car's oil changed, did a little shopping, folded laundry, washed dishes. I found saucers that match our dinner plates perfectly--for $1 at Salvation Army, at that. I bought and filled a fruit basket. I watered the plants. I lost my wedding ring and found it in the washing machine.

It was a quiet, simple, happy day.

3 comments:

The Deaf Kid said...

Every person is different. Some can subsist on the quiet moments, on the pleasure of necessary tasks. And that's great.

Others, like myself, need the big jolt. Which is why I'm in Korea.

But what I really want to say is that, whether big or small, all pleasures must be experienced proactively.

Rachel said...

Yes, there are precious moments in everyday. You are good to remind me.

char said...

yay, for happy days and for Salvation Army and fruit baskets and happy, well-fed plants!

I'm glad you had a happy day!